The Schooner Derwent Hunter was designed and built in 1946 by Walter Wilson, a second generation shipwright from the famous Wilson Brothers Shipwrights of Port Cygnet, south of Tasmania. She was built of Blue Gum, Tasmanian Oak, Celery Top Pine and Huon Pine which grew within sight of the Wilsons slip yard, by the waters edge at Gardner Bay. These timbers are regarded as some of the best ship building timbers in the world, and were cut and dragged by bullock train to the slipway.
SURVEY & PASSENGER CAPACITY
The design brief for the Derwent Hunter was for a fast sailing vessel resembling a grand banks schooner that could be used for gentlemanly pursuits and to supply fish for the restaurant at Wrest Point on Derwent River. The outcome was a vessel which was fast and seaworthy which is still turning heads today as she leaves many modern yachts in her wake.